Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

9

Which came first, the metric system, or the American measuring system? Answer at the bottom.

Oh wow; tomorrow marks a month in Australia -- can you believe I will be flying back to the states on Friday (Thursday in the States)? It's gone by so fast. It's truly an unbelievable country with many different facets. I found that they truly do say "mate" here by the way. They have clothes lines all over Australia -- not just in the bush, but also in the cities. But the best part was understanding how much I truly love helping people. I miss volunteering and giving my time and energy to people who need it most. It's truly a rewarding and humbling experience. Especially working with guest who are really touch-and-go. It's a wonderful feeling knowing that I am truly helping them. I am so grateful that the Lord has given me this opportunity to help others. Studying here at Misty Mountain has opened my eyes to a whole new world.

I know I talk some about health and nutrition in my blog posts -- I just wanted to point out that I never want to seem forceful, or too overly opinionated about my cause towards natural health care. Although, I do love it and full heartedly believe in it --  I hope I will never criticizes anyone's beliefs, or pose any negativity towards any persons. Because, we are all entitled to make our own choices as we see fit.

Being abroad for this month has made me appreciate some of America's fine qualities. Especially the gun laws. Did you know that in Australia that you may not shoot anyone, even if they are attacking your family? Unless they have a gun, and shoot first -- or something ridiculous like that. And if you have a baby you receive a "baby bonus" of $2,000 -- anybody, not just people on welfare. Interesting, huh?!

Tomorrow will be my last breakfast. Its so wonderful eating here. I can eat everything! Its so brilliant, and wonderful. Most days I want to gorge myself on all this amazing vegan food. Lentils, Salad, pumpkin soup, and more! oh and the potato bake is the best ever! I seriously almost ate the whole plate when we had it two weeks ago. It's silly how I am so fond of the food. Did I mention the vegan quiche!? I had sweet potatoes  for breakfast. And I learned that I actually like apples. I did try a tomato which they pronounce "TO-MAT-O" and they still were gross. Oh funny word, the word for gross is "yuck." so if something taste bad they say, "Oh Yuck!" But on the other hand, if it taste good they say "Oh it is so Yum!" Its funny really.

I learned a lot in the garden. And they plant almost everything around here. They celery is much different when grown in the garden compared to bought in the stores. It taste much stronger. That most times they only use the leaves of the celery because the stalks are too potent. The kids play with chickens all day which they call "chooks" -- and they all ride bikes everywhere. And they all know all different kinds of spiders and snakes! All of them it seems. And they put the pythons loose in the house to catch the rodents that come in during the spring! Crazy right!?

When I talk they are so funny. They say I am so expressionistic just like in the movies. Its funny, because they all watch "American" T.V. so I do not have an accent. I thought I was going to be cool with my accent, but they are all used to it. When will I ever have a cool accent? Now when I try to imitate they're Australian accent they say I sound English, but I think I sound mighty Australian, mate.

I found out that I love coconut cream, and dehydrated bananas and pears. I also love cooked kale. and guacamole and hummus on my salad. I also love pears. I love pears more than I have ever loved pears before. I also like bananas mixed in the blender with soy milk poured over my millet in the morning. I also like millet. I also like quinoa, but I still hate quinoa salad. I also love tofu. I found a new love for tofu. And tofu cheesecake. Love tofu cheesecake. I also still do not like the metric system. Its very complicated and does not make sense still.

I also do not like driving on the opposite side of the road. Yes, the wrong side of the road. And round-a-bouts. Do not like round-a-bouts.

I love hiking. I love the bush, but do not like tics. I've had 4 tics. Maybe more, but I haven't found them yet. I love kangaroos and wallabies. They are now my new favorite animal. I also like strawberries. But still not as much as watermelons. But do I like pears or watermelons more? The jury is still out on that one.

I now want to learn a musical instrument. Violin? Cello? or maybe the piano.

But more than all my lists of mostly food loves -- I want to volunteer more. I want to help the elderly, and the ill. I find this line of work very demanding, but extremely rewarding -- much more rewarding than any experience I have known. I love helping people. I enjoy showing them the love that I was shown through Christ. And beyond that I enjoy seeing them happy when they leave. I enjoy seeing the results of the program. And the knowledge that they take home is far more powerful than any drug could've given them. They start to learn about their illness, and the options. I believe that no matter what illness one may have, the patient has the right to reflect on the choices that they will make. Regardless if they end up choosing alternative medicine or not; Misty mountain becomes a retreat for many guest to step away from their hectic life, and choose the best treatment option for them.

It is bitter-sweet leaving. I am sure I will be back soon. I also am sure I will be traveling again soon. It was a wonderful experience, and opportunity. It has opened my eyes to people, and cultures that I have never known. And in a way that would not be shown to me at any hotel, or resort. I can truly say I have met Australia.

Thank you all for reading my blog! Its been fun writing to all of y'all back at home. I hope it helped you catch up to where I was at, what I was learning and such. I miss you all. Even though it was a lovely trip I cannot wait to see every single one of you back at home. Especially my husband, William. And a special thank you to that dear husband of mine who allowed me to travel both financial and emotionally, encouraging me to go on this "once in a lifetime opportunity". You are truly the love of my life, and this month would not have been possible without you. I cannot wait to be in your arms again soon. I love you.

Also thanks to my Dad who financially paid for the plane flight. I am so glad to have you as a dad. I have really learned a lot about myself, other people, cultures and life from this trip. You paying for this trip has been the best present I have ever received. It has taught me a lot about hard work. (Dad can you believe I did all the dishes all day without a dishwasher, and hung all the clothes on the line, since they do not have dryers! ha!) I am so glad I was able to go. Thank you and I love you dad.

And thanks to all the support from all my family and friends, including the Bellefontaine's. I cannot wait for another adventure that lays in wait in my life. I am so excited I was able to share this part of my life with you. I will be home shortly, and will be giving lots of hugs upon my return! Pray that my flight goes well -- even with a 10 hour lay over in L.A.! I think I may run around the airport for exercise after getting off my 15 hour plane flight!

And last but not least, I wanted to thank spell check. Seriously, I could not have written without you.

oh and the answer? The American measuring system comes first. A quote from good old Wikipedia states, "The U.S. system of units is similar to the British imperial system. Both systems are derived from English units, a system which had evolved over the millennia before American independence, and which had its roots in Roman and Anglo-Saxon units." Which came before the standard metric unit. Australia actually only switched over to the metric unit in the 1960s.

By the way Australia does not have pennies. And their smallest dollar note is a five dollar bill. They only have a 1 and 2 dollar coin. Weird huh?

Until I see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment