Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

1

I am going to keep this blog simple.

I arrived in Sydney two days ago. After a long 20+ hour travel I was tired. Arriving in Sydney, I saw a wonderful sunrise from the plane as they announced our landing. Also in the airport there are signs for "toilets" everywhere. It was funny seeing how in the States we call them "restrooms".

It was cold. Colder than I ever thought it was going to be. On the plane I realized that I left my camera memory card at home. Oh shucks -- no pictures. If you could see the scenery, it is truly beautiful. But cold; even though they told me August, in Australia, is winter -- something inside me packed extremely Louisiana like. But luckily I did bring a few sweatshirts.

It feels as though I could travel back in time 50 years here. No phone service, or very little (only enough to place a text to my husband now and again). They're no dryers -- they clothes line all their clothes outside to dry. And they eat simple. Little spice, little preparation, delightful, vegan, and like I said, simple. I think this is how God wants us to eat. Simply. The beans are boiled from scratch, and usually we eat our breakfast and lunches cold. Comparatively to the steaming hot meals in the US. Their are no micro-waves. Everything is fresh. Almost all the fruits and vegetables are grown locally. Farmers markets are the grocery stores or how they say, "green stops". How it should be.

Gas is $7 a gallon. unbelievable, how can I complain about $4? The women in this town all wear cute, modest dress and there is a quaint church on the property on Sabbath. The toilets are much different. They are deeper? Odd, I know, but its one of the first things I noticed.

Here, gardening, sewing and cooking are not a hobby, but a way of life. Its easy -- something that I want to plan to take home with me. All the staff's children are homeschooled and their mothers do not have a formal job. They raise their children.

I've only just arrived and settling into the schedule. Its funny though, thinking about how different it is from the city life in Baton Rouge. It in some ways reminds me of North Idaho.

Oh and before I forget -- I can breath here. William and I always laugh about that as soon as we step off the plane in Spokane. Their is something about the air outside of the city. The pollution level must be lower or something.

All and all it is wonderful here in Australia in the Bush; however, I do miss home. And most importantly, I miss my husband. William, I love you:)

I will be starting to attend health lectures soon, and I will keep you updated. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment